Friday, April 22, 2005

Batty Port Douglas and the Great Barrier Reef

On my way back from Cape Tribulation I stopped in Port Douglas, a pretty little town with yet another great beach. It did have one problem, it absolutely stunk of bats. The bats flew around all of the time, even in broad daylight - it was actually quite cool to see them close up!

I did a 2-tank dive from Port Douglas out to the Reef, it was great to be back underwater again. The reef was of course amazing, but also it is very interactive, its fun to poke at the coral and tease the fish (harmlessly of course). Our diver-guide showed me a clam, around 6 inches long, whose wavy arms clamped shut if you prodded them, like a venus fly trap. I was impressed. Then he showed me another one, about 8 inches long. Then (I figured out he was teasing me now), he showed me a Giant Clam. Woah these beasts are big, around 4 ft long. I guess that's why they are called Giants.

I also got to cuddle a very cute Puffer Fish, it obviously wasn't scared as it hadn't blown up. I put my fingers near the Christmas Tree Fish, which would disappear as quick as a flash inside their homes if you got too close, and then peer back out again. I hand fed a 3ft long and just as wide Potato Cod (don't know why it's called this, maybe it tastes good as fish n' chips?) and generally had a great time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home