Wednesday, January 05, 2005

Merry Christmas in Auckland

Auckland is ok, nothing special and feels like any town in Britian. I wasted a lot of time here, I spent 7 days here over Christmas and every day went like this: sleep in late, do a bit of boring shopping (without buying anything, I have no space in my rucksack), laze around, have tea, go out, get drunk and start all over again.

To be fair I had a lot of good nights out, but I didn't come half way round the world to do what I can do at home. Christmas was ok, very strange not being at home with my family, but good that I got to celebrate 13 hours earlier than everyone at home!

Christmas morning we made paper chains from old magazines to decorate the room. Then 5 of us (Siobhan, Kath, Stuart, Gary and I) sat around and opened presents. Everyone had a couple of things to open from home which was really good, I really appreciate photos and letters from home here (hint hint).

I went to the cinema in the afternoon as everyone in the hostel got a bit depressed - everyone was a bit homesick. In the evening a few of us attempted to go to another hostel's party but they wouldn't let us in, even though we had tickets, so we ended up back at the cinema food court and ate Roast Beef - yum!

Auckland is a very non-chrismassy. Very few decorations in the shops, apart from a very huge very scary Santa. There was no mad rush for last minute presents, and on Christmas Day there were loads of people wandering the streets looking bored. Even some shops and cafes were open on Christmas Day.

After Christmas I spent a nice day at Devenport climbing up 2 volcanoes, and got sunburnt (again).

1 Comments:

Blogger kazaddress said...

WOW.. sounds like your having a fabby time!

I hope you have a smashing new year!

thinking of you.

keep up the writing.. we are reading it all back here!

:)

Kaz x
http://the-billingtons.co.uk

2:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home